Ex Wants More Money for Child Support: 5 Things You Can Do

“Four months ago, my ex-wife Selsi and I got divorced. Afterward, she got custody of our child according to the court orders. And I have been paying $500 in support every month since then. But now my ex wants more money for child support from me on top of what I am already giving her. What are my options here?” This is my friend Ramin’s story.

If your ex is also asking for more money for child support, you may feel overwhelmed and unsure of what to do. Don’t worry; you are not alone. Many parents like you and Ramin find themselves in this situation.

The rule of thumb is that you are only required to pay the amount on the court order. But as you know, where is a rule, there is an exception. In some cases, you may have to pay. In this blog post, I will discuss five of the most important things you can do if your ex wants more money for child support.

ex wife makes more money child support

Ex wants more money for child support: Can they ask for it legally?

The general rule is that you are only obliged to pay what the court ordered to pay you in terms of child support. However, there are circumstances where an ex-spouse may be able to ask for more money for child support. If your ex-wife wants more child support personally without any court order, you are not bound to pay. 

Yes, the ex can legally ask for an increase in child support. But, they have to request a modification to the original order. They also need to demonstrate that there has been a change in circumstance since the original court-ordered agreement was made.

For example, if their income has decreased significantly or if their monthly expenses have increased dramatically due to a new job or unexpected medical costs, they may be able to argue for an increase in payments successfully.

Ex’s attorney will need to present evidence to the court demonstrating this change of circumstances and why it necessitates an adjustment in child support payments.

Depending on the state, they might also be required to submit financial documents such as bank statements, payroll stubs, and tax returns. The court will then review all of this information before deciding whether payments will be adjusted. 

If accepted by the court, they can expect an increase in child support on a temporary or permanent basis depending on the unique dynamics of the situation and how it meets state law requirements.

Some of the other possible modifications to a custody agreement that courts may entertain include if the custodial parent experiences a decrease in income, extraordinary medical expenses are incurred, childcare costs go up, or educational expenses rise.

When requesting more money for child support, consider that both parties will need to agree upon the amount, and it must be fair and reasonable. 

Ultimately, judges make the final determination in these cases, so legal counsel should be sought for assistance in navigating this process.

ex wants more money for child support

Ex Wants More Money for Child Support: 5 Things You Can Do

Analyze the needs:

If your ex is asking for an increase in child support, you should first analyze their needs to determine if they are reasonable. Consider their current expenses, income, and any other goals they may have that require additional funds.

Also, review the original court-ordered agreement and see if anything could be amended to address their needs. If not, it might be necessary to consider a more permanent solution.

Be flexible:

Try to be flexible if the needs are related to the child’s welfare. Remember that the ex may try their best to provide for their child even if it means asking you to pay more.

If possible, try to come up with an amicable, fair, and reasonable solution for both parties. Discuss potential solutions and how much of an increase in payments would be necessary to support the ex’s needs.

Don’t pay for the personal needs of the other parent:

The purpose of child support is to provide for your child’s needs, not to bankroll your ex’s costs of living. Maintain this perspective during negotiations to make the best decisions for your kid. Respectfully decline these requests if they ask for more money to cover their mortgage or car payments.

Also, be aware of any potential financial risks associated with the ex’s request. For example, if they ask for an increase in payments to cover a loan or credit card debt, this could put you at risk of having to pay these debts if the ex fails to do so.

Don’t be blackmailed:

If an ex is trying to blackmail you with threats of taking legal action or withholding visitation, remain firm and don’t be pressured into paying your ex more money than necessary. While the ex has a right to ask for increased payments, it doesn’t mean they can get away with using these tactics.

If the ex persists, then be sure to document all communication and look into legal options, such as filing a motion to modify or enforce the court-ordered agreement. In extreme cases, the ex may even face criminal charges for violating the agreement.

Go to court:

If your ex attempts to increase the child support without going through the proper channels, take them to court. This way, they will have an opportunity to explain their reasoning in front of a judge, who will review all evidence before making a final decision on whether or not more money is warranted.

If your ex-partner is successful, you should anticipate an increase in child support payments. If they are unsuccessful, make sure to review the agreement and confirm that they are adhering to all its conditions.

The below video about why the ex-wife wants more child support money might be helpful for you:

FAQs on Ex Wants More Money for Child Support

How much should my ex-partner pay for child support?

Child support payments are determined using several factors, including the income of both parents, the child’s needs and any special expenses that may be incurred. 

The exact amount to be paid will depend on your particular situation. Generally speaking, courts follow a set guideline for calculating child support payments to ensure fair and equitable arrangements. You can consult a lawyer or family law specialist to determine the appropriate amount for your situation. 

Additionally, many states have online calculators that can help you estimate the cost of child support payments. It is important to note that custodial parents may be eligible for government assistance and payments from the non-custodial parent. Be sure to check with your local government for more information.

How can I increase my ex’s child support?

If you are the custodial parent of your ex’s child, you can take legal action in order to increase their monthly payments. Depending on your specific circumstances, this could include filing a motion with the court to modify existing orders or seeking assistance from a local child support enforcement agency. 

When filing for an increase, be sure to include proof of any changed circumstances, such as a change in income or costs that have increased since the original child support was ordered. 

If your ex has been delinquent on payments, consider filing for an enforcement order to collect any past-due amounts. Lastly, seek legal counsel to ensure the process is completed accurately and efficiently. With the right steps in place, you can increase your ex’s child support payments and ensure your child’s best interests are considered.

How often can you modify child support in NC?

Most child support orders in North Carolina can be modified every 3 years. However, certain circumstances qualify as an exception to this rule. For example, there has been a significant change in either parent’s income before the expiration of the current order. In that case, that may qualify you for a modification of your child support order. If a parent is laid off from work or experiences a drastic cut in their salary, they can file for a modification request.

Other changes can also apply, such as increased medical expenses and other hardships related to raising children. While following the 3-year standard for regular child support modifications in NC for both parents is necessary, exceptions and special classes can exist if criteria are met.

Why your ex-wife wants more child support?

It is no surprise that your ex-wife may be seeking out an increase in child support payments. With rising living costs, her financial obligations to provide for the children can quickly add up. It is likely that she faces rent, utility bills, medical expenses, and a range of other costs associated with caring for children.

Even the most thrifty ex-wives can struggle to afford everything they need when relying solely on the child support they receive from their former spouse. Some parents may try to use this tool to blackmail the other parents. Such as, they may not let you see your child if you don’t pay the extra money. Be careful of not paying extra in this situation.

As such, it is understandable why your ex-wife may have asked for more money to keep up with your children’s needs.

Does child support increase if you get married?

“If my ex gets married, can I get more child support?”

In general, the answer is no – marriage alone does not typically increase a person’s child support obligation. However, it can be more complicated than that. Depending on the individual circumstances and state laws, marriage may have an effect on whether or not someone has to pay child support, as well as how much they have to pay. 

If the parent paying child support gets remarried, the new spouse’s income does not typically affect the amount of child support that must be paid. However, suppose a person’s financial circumstances significantly change due to their marriage, such as an increase in income or access to additional resources. In that case, it may be possible for them to ask the court to adjust their child support obligation.

Of course, separated parents need to consider the financial implications of remarriage before taking any steps. It is best to consult with an experienced family law attorney who can provide more specific information about how getting married could affect a person’s child support obligations.  

Additionally, some states may have laws that affect the impact of marriage on child support. It is important to understand these laws before moving forward. Doing so can help ensure that everyone involved is properly informed and prepared.

Can I pay child support in cash without a receipt?

You can pay, but it is not advisable to do so without a receipt. Cash payments for child support can be difficult to track and verify, leaving you open to possible legal repercussions. If you are paying cash, it is best to get a receipt from the recipient and keep accurate records of all payments made to protect both parties involved in the transaction

A written agreement detailing the payment amounts and dates can also be helpful in this situation. Additionally, consider other payment options, such as bank transfers or money orders, which provide a more secure and verifiable form of payment. 

What happens if my ex refuses to pay child support?

If your ex-spouse refuses to pay child support, you may need to take them to court. Depending on your state’s circumstances and laws, different methods are available, including wage garnishment, property liens, and tax intercepts. In some cases, it may be possible for a court to order punitive damages such as jail time or fines.

 It is crucial to seek legal advice before taking action in these cases, as the situation can be complex and difficult to navigate independently. Additionally, it is beneficial to remain in communication with your ex-spouse since other resolution methods may be available outside of court. If all else fails, the court system may be the only way to get the child support you are due.

Final Thoughts:

If your ex requests an increase in child support payments, analyze their needs before making any decisions. Consider being flexible if the ex’s request is reasonable, but don’t pay for personal expenses or be blackmailed into paying more than necessary. Ultimately, it may be best to take the ex to court so a judge can decide whether or not an increase in payments is warranted.

About Shakir Ahmed

Head of the editorial team. I hold a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) from UoL. Written hundreds of articles on divorce, child custody, employment and other human rights law topics for blogs and websites worldwide. Worked 6 years as a relationship development trainer. For any communication regarding any legal matter, please feel free to email me at shakir@lawyersnlaws.com

Leave a Comment