Ex Wife Refuses to Work Child Support: 9 Things to Do

Deon Karl, my old friend, said, “My ex wife refuses to work child support.” He also said, “After our divorce, the court ordered my ex wife to pay child support because she earned more money than I did during our marriage. But recently she saidw she can’t pay any more child support. I don’t know what I should do now.”

I understand that you may feel frustrated and helpless if your condition is like Deon’s. But trust me; you are not alone! Many fathers face the same problem.

However, you don’t have just to sit back and take it. There are things that you can do to get the support that your children deserve. In this blog post, I will discuss 9 strategies you can use to get your ex-wife to start working and paying child support.

ex wife refuses to work child support

Ex Wife Refuses to Work Child Support: 9 Things to Do

#1. Talk to her:

The first step is to talk to her. Ask her why she refuses to pay child support and try to understand the situation from her perspective. Talk openly, without any harsh words or confrontation. This will give you a better idea of why she isn’t paying child support and can help you devise a solution together.

You can also offer to help her in any way you can so she can find a job and be able to pay the support. If she agrees to work, discuss how much money is required each month and come up with an agreement that both of you are comfortable with.

#2. Seek help from a lawyer:

If your ex-wife refuses to pay child support or talk about the child, it is time to seek legal help. In this regard, it is best to consult with an experienced family lawyer who can guide you through the legal process and advise you on how to proceed in your situation. A lawyer will know all the local laws and explain your options so you can make the best decision for your children.

Also, a lawyer can help you file a court motion to enforce the child support order. This will help ensure that your ex-wife is held accountable and pays her monthly obligation as ordered.

#3. File a motion to enforce the court order:

If your ex-wife is still not paying child support, the next step is to file a motion to enforce the court order. This will pressure her to comply with the court’s decision or face legal consequences. To do this, you must fill out a form and submit it to the district court.

You can also include a copy of your court order to show that she is not following the court’s orders. This will help you get a favourable ruling from the judge and, hopefully, get your ex-wife to start paying child support soon.

#4. File a contempt of court motion:

If your ex-wife still refuses to pay, you may need to take legal action against her. You can file a motion for contempt of court, which will hold her in contempt of the court order and require her to appear before a judge. She can be held in jail if she fails to comply with the court’s decision.

This is usually the last resort when it comes to getting your ex-wife to pay child support. It is a serious legal matter and should only be used as a last resort.

#5. Request an income assignment order:

If your ex-wife refuses to work and pay child support, you can ask the court for an income assignment order. This order requires her employer to collect child support directly from her monthly salary and send it to you. You will need to provide evidence that she is employed, such as a copy of her pay stub or W2 form, to get the income assignment order.

This will ensure that your ex-wife cannot avoid paying child support and is obligated to do so as soon as she starts working.

#6. File a lien on her property:

You can file a lien on your ex-wife’s property if she continuously refuses to pay child support. This will ensure that if she sells or transfers any of her assets in the future, the payment will go to you first as child support payments before it goes to her.

Filing a lien requires you to fill out a form and submit it to the local court. It may also require hiring an attorney to help you with filing.

#7. Request a wage garnishment order:

You can ask the court to issue a wage garnishment order. A wage garnishment order requires her bank account to be frozen, and all funds are sent to you as child support payments until the full amount is paid. This will help ensure she cannot avoid paying her back child support payments.

You will need to provide evidence that she is self-employed, such as a copy of her business license and tax returns.

#8. File for public assistance:

If your ex-wife refuses to work and pay child support, you can file for public assistance on behalf of your children. This will help cover some of your children’s basic living expenses and provide them with the necessary financial support they need.

If you qualify, you can receive food stamps, medical coverage, and cash assistance. Moreover, funds from public assistance can be used to pay for child support if your ex-wife is legally obligated to do so.

#9. Seek help from a social services agency:

Finally, if all fails, you can seek help from a local social services agency in your area. They can provide you with information on obtaining public assistance or other programs that may help your family in this situation.

Social services agencies are a great resource for struggling families who need additional support. Also, they can connect you with other resources in the community that may be able to help.

To know more about what happens if my ex refuses to pay child support, watch the below video:

FAQs on Ex Wife Refuses to Work Child Support

What happens if the father quits his job to avoid child support?

If a father chooses to quit his job to avoid paying child support, he may have serious financial difficulty. Not only will he lose the income from his job, but he may be denied access to certain services or benefits that would normally accompany employment, such as healthcare and retirement contributions.

Furthermore, if the father is found guilty of purposely quitting his job to avoid paying child support, the courts can take measures against him; this could range from an order for assets seizure to revocation of driving privileges or imprisonment.

Although it may seem like a good idea to save money by not paying child support when you lose your job, several potential consequences could make this decision more difficult in the long run.

What is a non-working spouse entitled to in a divorce?

A non-working spouse in a divorce is typically entitled to alimony payments from the working spouse. These payments are meant to continue the couple’s lifestyle during the marriage and are typically proportional to the length of time they were married. They can be permanent or for a set amount of time.

Factors such as each spouse’s income and assets, their ability to find employment, their age, their health and a variety of other circumstances come into play when awarding alimony.

The court will also decide how much should be paid, how often it should be paid, and what form of payment should be used, if any.

Ultimately, the goal is to create an equitable resolution that considers both parties’ needs while ensuring that no party suffers financial detriment due to divorce.

Can I get child support if the father is unemployed the Philippines?

Even if a biological father is unemployed in the Philippines, it is still possible for a parent to receive child support from him. The court must order the father to provide assistance, and then the money will come from other sources, such as his family or relatives since he does not have an income.

The court may also require him to seek employment or enter into a loan agreement with the mother to pay her immediately. To get started on seeking child support, the parent should go through mediation or consult with an experienced lawyer who can help move forward with a court order.

By upholding their rights, parents in this situation can ensure that their children are taken care of financially despite the employment status of their fathers.

Can the ex quit their job to get more child support?

When considering whether or not to quit a job to gain more child support, consider the long-term impacts. While extra income can be beneficial in providing a better life for your children, it may also mean sacrificing job security or even having a hard time finding another job.

Moreover, if your ex happens to be successful and you’re relying on them for child support, quitting your job altogether might cause tensions between you and your ex, as they could view it as taking advantage of the situation.

Ultimately weigh the pros and cons thoroughly before making such an important decision—however difficult that may be.

Why does my ex stop paying child support?

As a parent, it is beyond frustrating when child support payments suddenly cease without explanation. Unfortunately, this is a situation many parents are confronted with as they strive to provide for their children.

If your ex does stop paying child support, the secret you need to know is here. There may be any number of reasons your ex has halted the payments – from tight finances to experiencing an unexpected change in circumstances.

The only way to know for sure is to have an honest conversation with your former partner and try to come up with a mutually satisfactory arrangement.

If you are still unsatisfied with the arrangements or payment ceases again, seeking legal advice or approaching the relevant authority is highly recommended.


If your ex-wife refuses to work and pay child support, there are a few things you can do. You may need to take legal action against her, such as filing a contempt of court motion or requesting an income assignment order.

Additionally, you can request a wage garnishment from her bank account or file for public assistance on behalf of your children. Finally, you can seek help from a social services agency in your area that can provide you with additional support and resources.

No matter which of these options you choose to pursue, remember that your children deserve the best care and attention possible. Taking action against an ex-wife who refuses to work and pay child support is often difficult, but it must be done to ensure your children are provided for.

Leave a Comment