Suing for Parental Alienation: Guideline for 4 Legal Alternatives

If you are dealing with parental alienation, you may be thinking of suing for parental alienation.  This is called parental alienation, when one parent tries to turn the children against the other parent. This is a severe issue and can have long-term consequences for the children involved.

I know you don’t want to give up but want to return your child. But, unfortunately, there is no direct law to sue for this. That’s why in this article, I will discuss four legal alternatives for suing for parental alienation.

Can you sue someone for parental alienation?

In some cases, it may be possible to sue for parental alienation. However, the success of such a lawsuit would depend on the specific circumstances and evidence that could be presented in court.

It is important to note that parental alienation is not a recognised legal term. It is often used in family law cases to explain one parent’s negative behaviour towards the other.

To succeed in a lawsuit for parental alienation, it would likely need to be proven that the alienating parent engaged in intentional and manipulative behaviour to turn the child against the targeted parent.

Additionally, damages would need to be clearly shown, such as loss of a relationship with the child or financial harm due to decreased child support payments.

In most states, there is no direct law to sue for parental alienation. According to the law, this is not a crime, although it can be considered a form of emotional abuse. However, a lawsuit for parental alienation may fall under other categories, such as breach of a custody agreement or emotional distress.

Instead, it is a family law issue that should be addressed through the court system during custody proceedings. It is essential to consult with a lawyer experienced in family law to determine the best course of action in these situations.

Overall, it is possible to sue for parental alienation, but such a lawsuit’s success would depend on the specific circumstances and evidence that can be presented in court. It is recommended to consult with an experienced family law attorney to determine the best course of action in cases of suspected parental alienation.

Moreover, it can be challenging to prove your case in court. However, if you have evidence that the other parent has attempted to turn your child against you, you may have other alternatives that will be discussed next.

suing for parental alienation

Suing for Parental Alienation: Guideline for 4 Legal Alternatives

You can’t sue your ex for this, but you can take serious legal steps. Here they are-

 #1. Petition for reunification therapy:

Reunification therapy is meant to deal with the effects of parental alienation and help the child get back in touch with the parent who turned them away.

If a court believes it is in the child’s best interest, it can order this type of therapy. With this process, your ex will need to participate in this therapy that the court supervises. All necessary costs may fall on the parent who is causing alienation.

#2. Petition to modify the visitation right:

Suppose you have full custody and that parent who tries to alienate the child has the visitation right in this situation. In that case, you may apply to a supervised/monitored visitation schedule as the alienating parent can’t bad mouth the other parent when supervised by the supervisor.

If it can be shown that the other parent continues to make the child dislike them during visitation, you can file a petition to change their rights and limit or stop visitation.

On the other hand, if the parent who is causing alienation is preventing you from seeing your child, you have the right to petition for a modification of visitation rights. This can also include supervised visitation or even changing primary custody if necessary.

The court may also order that your ex attend counselling or parenting classes to address their behaviour.

#3. Call CPS (Child Protective Services) or DCF (Department of Children and Families):

Child abuse comes in many different forms, one of which is parental alienation. Be sure always to keep the child’s best interests at heart and ensure their safety.

If serious harm is being caused to the child, you can report this to Child Protective Services or the Department of Children and Families. They will investigate the situation and work to ensure that the child is protected from any forms of abuse, including parental alienation.

Also, they might work with the court to ensure the child gets the right help and therapy.

#4. Petition for custody modification:

When you have enough evidence that the other parent is causing alienation, you may petition for a change in primary custody as a last resort. Remember that this can cause significant upheaval for the child, though.

However, if the other parent is causing severe harm to the child through parental alienation and all other options have failed, this may be necessary for the child’s well-being and safety.

Parental alienation: suing the alienators and the enablers for damages. I hope the below discussion will guide you properly:

FAQs on Suing for Parental Alienation

How do you deal with a manipulative co-parent?

If you’re trying to co-parent with someone manipulative, it can be difficult to establish and maintain a healthy relationship. Here are some tips for dealing with a manipulative co-parent:

First, try to stay calm and rational when communicating with your co-parent. It can be hard to keep your cool when you’re upset or angry, but remember that acting on your feelings will only give your co-parent more reasons to use against you.

Second, don’t hesitate to set boundaries. If your co-parent constantly crosses the line, tell them their behaviour is unacceptable.

Finally, don’t be afraid to seek outside support. Whether it’s from a therapist, a friend, or a support group, it can be invaluable to talk to someone who understands what you’re going through.

If you’re struggling to deal with a manipulative co-parent, remember that you’re not alone. There are resources and people available to help you through this challenging time.

How do I prove parental alienation?

Parental alienation is a serious issue that can profoundly affect children. When one parent intentionally tries to damage the relationship between a child and the other parent, it can cause the child to feel isolated, confused, and even scared.

If you suspect your child suffers from parental alienation, take action.

The first step is to gather evidence. Look for patterns in your child’s behaviour that show he or she is being controlled or manipulated by one parent. This may include making negative comments about the other parent, refusing to communicate with the other parent, or trying to turn the child against the other parent.

It would help if you also looked for changes in your child’s behaviour, such as becoming withdrawn or acting out. If you have evidence that parental alienation is taking place, you should talk to a lawyer.

Parental alienation can be difficult to prove, but an experienced lawyer will know how to build a strong case. With the help of a lawyer, you can protect your child’s relationship with both parents and ensure that your family gets the support and care it needs.

How do judges look at parental alienation?

Judges take parental alienation very seriously and may consider it a form of child abuse. If a parent is found to have deliberately alienated their child from the other parent, they could face the consequences such as loss of custody or visitation rights.

The judge may also order therapy for the alienating parent and the child to address and repair any damage that has been done to the parent-child relationship.

However, it can be difficult for a judge to determine if parental alienation is actually occurring, as there may be legitimate reasons for a child to reject a parent.

Both parties must present evidence and testimony in court to support their case. Overall, judges take a strong stance against parental alienation and may take steps to address and rectify the situation.

What is narcissistic parental alienation?

Narcissistic parental alienation is a serious problem that can have a lasting impact on children. It occurs when one parent systematically attempts to damage the relationship between their child and the other parent.

This can be done through various means, such as critical comments, bad-mouthing, or withholding affection. As a result, the child can become confused, anxious, and even fearful of the targeted parent. In severe cases, the alienation can lead to estrangement.

Narcissistic parental alienation can profoundly affect a child’s emotional development and sense of self-worth. It is necessary to be aware of the signs of this problem so that it can be addressed early on. Children can heal and rebuild their relationships with both parents with proper intervention.

What is a parental alienation evaluation?

A parental alienation evaluation is a comprehensive assessment conducted by a mental health professional to evaluate the levels of estrangement and hostility between a child and a parent.

The evaluation usually includes interviews with the child, the parents, and other important people in the child’s life and a review of any available documentation.

The goal of the evaluation is to identify the factors that have contributed to the estrangement and to make recommendations for improving the relationship. Parental alienation evaluations can be invaluable in helping families heal their relationships and move forward.

Is it hard to prove parental alienation?

While there is no definitive answer to this question, it can be difficult to prove parental alienation in a court of law. The concept of parental alienation is relatively new, and there is no agreed-upon definition of what it entails.

In addition, alienating behaviours can be subtle and may not be apparent to outsiders. As a result, judges and other legal professionals may not be familiar with the signs of parental alienation and may not give much weight to accusations of it.

That said, if a parent can provide clear evidence that the other parent is deliberately trying to undermine their relationship with their child, it may be possible to prove parental alienation and obtain a favourable outcome in court.

How to win a parental alienation case in court?

Parental alienation cases are often complex and emotionally charged. If you find yourself in the middle of one, seek legal counsel early on to protect your rights.

The first step is to gather evidence to prove that the other parent is actively engaging in parental alienation. This can include emails, text messages, social media posts, and witness testimony.

Once you have this evidence, you’ll need to file a motion with the court. In your motion, you’ll need to explain how the other parent’s actions negatively impact your relationship with your child.

If the court grants your motion, they may issue a Temporary Restraining Order or take other legal action against the other parent. Remember that winning a parental alienation case is not guaranteed that you’ll regain custody of your child.

However, it can be essential in protecting your rights as a parent and ensuring that the other parent’s actions do not unduly harm your relationship with your child.

Can a parent lose custody for parental alienation?

Parental alienation is a serious issue that can have far-reaching consequences. When one parent systematically alienates a child from the other parent, it can cause lasting damage to the child’s relationship with both parents.

In some cases, parental alienation can even lead to a loss of custody. The courts recognise that parental alienation is a form of child abuse and will take action to protect the child’s best interests.

If a parent is found to be engaging in parental alienation, they may be denied custody or visitation rights. In severe cases, they may even be required to pay damages to the other parent.

Parental alienation is a serious issue that should not be taken lightly. If you suspect your ex is engaged in this behaviour, you should speak to a lawyer as soon as possible.


The legal system is complex, especially when parental alienation is involved. Always keep your child’s well-being and safety at the forefront of your mind.

Consult with a lawyer or therapist for support and guidance as you explore these options and work towards a positive resolution. Good luck on your journey.

Leave a Comment