Divorce Husband Won’t Leave House: 3 Easy Ways to Move Out

Once you divorce your husband, he should leave the house after receiving the court order. But what if the divorce husband won’t leave the house? There are several things that you can do.

Even when you are in the process of divorcing your husband or in the separation period, some options are available to make your husband leave the house. This article will explain in detail how you can move your husband out of the house after divorce.

divorce husband won't leave house

Divorce Husband Won’t Leave House: 3 Ways to Move Out

Catherine is my colleague and recently divorced her husband. But her husband refused to leave the house. She was very much frustrated. She said, 

“It has been 6 months since I got the final divorce decree. The house is in my name. Court ordered him to vacate the house. I want to move on with my new BF, but he refuses to leave the house. I want my husband to leave me and the house. What can I do now?”

If you are in a situation like Catherine, here are three ways to make your divorced husband leave the house.

#1. Recheck the martial agreement: 

The first thing that you should do is to recheck the divorce settlement and see if there are any provisions about the ownership of the house. If it’s in your name, then your husband has no legal right to stay in the house. You can also check if there is a deadline for him to vacate the property or not.

If the settlement states that your husband must leave the house, you can ask for a court order to enforce it. But, the cheating husband often refuses to move out even when there is a court order. In this case, he will have to face contempt of court.

You can also ask for a temporary restraining order to prevent your husband from entering the property until he leaves it permanently.

#2. If the house was awarded to the wife in that agreement:

If the house was awarded to you in the divorce settlement, then your husband has no right to stay in that house. In this case, you can directly contact the police and ask them to remove your husband from the premises.

If the police refuse help, you can hire a lawyer and file an eviction notice. You can file a petition in court and request for the eviction notice to be served to your husband. The court will then arrange for a sheriff to serve the notice and set a date for your husband to vacate the premises.

If your husband refuses to leave, you can physically ask the sheriff to kick him from the house.

#3. Make him agree calmly:

If you want to avoid all the hassle of going to court and changing locks, you can make your husband agree to leave the house calmly.

Talk to him about your situation and explain how his leaving would be better for her and the children. You can also offer him some money to find another place to stay. If he agrees, it will be much easier for both of you.

Another option you can try is offering an alternative living arrangement for your ex-husbands, such as offering to pay his rent or temporarily staying with a friend or family member.

This can be a mutually beneficial solution as it will allow him to have a place to stay and for you to move on with your life. However, draft a legal agreement stating that he will vacate the property permanently shortly.

#4. If the house was awarded to the joint name or not specific:

If the house was awarded to both of you in the divorce settlement or it was not explicitly mentioned who will get the house, then your husband has every right to stay in that house.

In this case, you can still try. You can go to court again and apply for a post-judgment motion to grant you sole possession. Here, you need strong evidence and reason for the judges to show why this house is very much required for you.

In such a situation, the court must consider your financial conditions of you, child custody, the best interest of the children, etc. Your husband will have to leave the house if the court grants your request. Whatever the situation is, consulting with your attorney is always mandatory.

How to Get a Spouse to Move Out During Divorce?

During a divorce, I mean in the separation period, making your divorce husband leave the house is very difficult as the court does not approve the settlement agreement. But still, there are some options available to make him leave the house.

#1. Call police:

If your divorced husband doesn’t leave the house, you can directly contact the police and ask for help. The police can only remove your spouse from the residence if you make a valid criminal report against them.

For example, if your divorce husband is harassing you or not following the divorce agreement, you can make a criminal complaint against him. After that, the police will take action and remove him from your house.

#2. Get protective order:

If there is no physical abuse, you can go to court to apply for a petition for “exclusive possession of the marital home.” In this application, you need to prove that your divorce husband is harassing you or not following the divorce agreement.

If the court grants your petition, your divorced husband will have to leave the house and be restricted from entering the premises. You can also get an emergency protective order if you can prove that your divorce husband is a threat to you or your children.

This order will be valid for a few days, and during this time, you need to file for a long-term protective order. If your divorce husband violates any of these orders, he will be arrested and imprisoned.

I think you should watch this video to learn more about how to get your spouse out of the house!!

FAQs on Divorce Husband Won’t Leave the House.

If my wife filed for divorce, do I have to move out?

The answer to this question depends on the specific circumstances of your divorce and any settlement agreements that have been made. Sometimes, one spouse may need to move out temporarily during separation.

However, it is not always necessary for one spouse to permanently vacate the marital residence if it is agreed upon in the divorce settlement. It is important to consult with a lawyer to understand your rights and options in this situation fully.

If you have children, you must also consider their needs and stability during this difficult time. Ultimately, there is no right or wrong answer when deciding who stays in the family home after a divorce. You and your spouse should work together to reach the best agreement for everyone involved.

How to kick your husband out of the house legally?

“I want my husband to leave me.”

While it may not be easy, there are legal ways to kick your husband out of the house. In most jurisdictions, simply changing the locks on the doors is not enough.

However, if your husband has been physically abusive, you may be able to obtain a restraining order that will require him to stay away from you and your home. If there is no history of abuse, you can still file for divorce and request that the court issue an order granting you exclusive use and occupancy of the home.

In some cases, such as when you cannot afford another place to live, the court may also order your husband to pay temporary spousal support. Ultimately, kicking your husband out of the house is a complex legal process, so it is best to consult an experienced attorney who can help you navigate the process and protect your rights.

Who has to leave the house in a separation?

Separation can be a difficult and emotional time for any family. When a couple decides to split up, there are often many decisions that need to be made about who will stay in the family home and who will leave.

Several factors can influence this decision, including financial considerations, work commitments, and child custody arrangements. In some cases, it may be possible for both parties to remain in the family home, but in other instances, one person may need to move out.

Ultimately, the decision about who leaves the family home in a separation will be based on the individual circumstances of each case.

How long do I have to move out after the divorce?

After a divorce, it is not uncommon for one spouse to want to move out of the family home as soon as possible. However, there are a few things to consider before making this decision.

First, if children are involved, consider what is best for them. Moving can be disruptive and unsettling for kids, so it is important to weigh this option carefully.

Second, there may be financial considerations to take into account. In some cases, one spouse may be required to buy out the other’s share of the home.

Finally, think about your own emotional needs. Moving out may provide much-needed space and privacy but can also be emotionally challenging.

Ultimately, there is no right or wrong answer when deciding when to move out after a divorce. It is a personal decision that should be made based on your unique circumstances.

What happens if you leave the house during a divorce?

If you consider leaving the marital home during your divorce, you should keep a few things in mind.

First, if you have children, you may want to consider whether it is in their best interest to remain in the home. If you do leave, make sure you have a safe place to stay and that your children will be able to remain in their school and extracurricular activities.

You should also be prepared for the financial implications of leaving home, as you may be responsible for paying rent or mortgage payments on both homes.

Finally, discuss your plans with your attorney, as there may be legal implications to leaving the marital home.

However, if you decide to leave, know that it is a decision only you can make and that there is no shame in taking care of yourself during this difficult time.

Can I force my spouse to leave the house?

Legally, you cannot force your spouse to leave the marital residence unless a court order or settlement agreement exists. However, you can formally request them to vacate the premises and negotiate an agreement with them.

If necessary, you can also seek legal assistance or protection through restraining orders and temporary housing options. It is important to consult with a lawyer to understand your rights and options in this situation fully.

Ultimately, the decision for one spouse to move out may be necessary if there is hostility or tension within the household during the divorce process. Finding alternative living arrangements can help both parties move forward and begin the next chapter of their lives.


The options we’ve listed above are just a few ways to get your spouse to move out during a divorce. If none of these solutions seems feasible or appropriate for your situation, there may be other courses of action that your attorney can recommend.

Leave a Comment